The Landsman is a base-class introduced in the first part of The Banner Saga.
Units belonging to the Landsman class have the following attributes:
- Size: 1x1 tile
- Movement Range: 4 tiles
- Attack Range: Melee (1 tile; see note section)
- Passive Ability: Lightstep (see below)
- Stats: Similar to human-melee units, like Raiders.
Passive Ability: Light Step
The landsman uses his superior dexterity to move around bodies, allowing him to pass through, but not stop on, any allies.
Light step can help a crafty landsman get safely into position behind armored allies before going in for the strike, or escape from a dangerous position.
Three promoted classes stemming from Landsman base class have so far been revealed:
- Hunter (Mark Prey ability) → Rook is the Hero belonging to this special Landsman promoted class.
- Warden (Rally ability) → Eirik is the representative Hero of this class.
- Tracker (Track ability) → Dytch is the representative Hero of this class.
When promoted to Rank 6, Rook gains the Call To Arms ability (a special one), whereas the Warden and the Tracker each gain the other's active.
Notes & Playstyle
- There is a small inconsistency about the Attack Range of Landsmen: While the Warden and the Tracker can only perform melee attacks (1 tile), the Hunter carries a bow and is thus also capable of ranged attacks (2-5 tiles).
- Enemy units of this base-class have only been shown in the second part of The Banner Saga, e.g. Starving Foragers in Chapter 13.
- The Landsman base-class has not (yet) been introduced into Factions.
- Landsmen are mostly support-type units, excelling in mobility.