- For Lore information proceed to the Menders (Valka) article.
This article refers to the Mender unit class introduced in the first part of The Banner Saga.
Menders have the following attributes:
- Size: 1×1 tile(s)
- Movement Range: 4-5 tiles
- Attack Range: Melee (1 tile) for staff wielders, Extended (1-2 tiles) for spear wielders.
- Stats: Low Armor, Strength and Break, average Exertion, high Willpower.
- Passive Ability: None
- Active Ability: Mend (see below) and 0-2 more.
Active Ability: Mend
Menders are able to quickly Mend on the field of battle, restoring the Armor of any ally anywhere on the battlefield. The amount of Armor restored is half of the Mender's current Willpower (WP) rounded down.
Rank 1: Armor restored is (WP+0)/2, rounded down.
Rank 2: Armor restored is (WP+1)/2, rounded down.
Rank 3: Armor restored is (WP+2)/2, rounded down.
- Calculating restored Armor when casting Mend may be difficult, partly because the ability description in the Heroes tent is vague. The following table shows the Armor restored for all ranks of the ability, given the mender's Willpower when Mend is cast. It is advisable to draw any unneeded Willpower from the Horn, before casting Mend.
Heroes & Extra Active Abilities
The Heroes belonging to this base class are:
- Eyvind (Saga 1), apprentice to Juno,
- Zefr (Saga 2), a Valka from the Mender Council, and
- Nikels (Saga 2), apprentice to Zefr.
Apart from Mend, units of this class have the following Active Abilities:
- Arc Lightning (Eyvind only): Offensive ability; deals Armor-bypass Strength-damage; ranged (1-6 tiles); can hit multiple units (enemies and allies).
- Trollstones (Eyvind only): Zone-control ability; creates 1-3 Destructible Blockers on the board, that deal 1STR damage as they emerge.
- Runic Gale (Zefr only): Support ability; RNG-governed; creates 2-4 tile-buffs, for any of the four stats (excluding Exertion), that last for one Round and can be picked up by allies or enemies.
- Breeze (Zefrr only): Support ability; can buff 1-3 allies so that they get infinite movement range in their next Turn.
Notes & Playstyle
- This unit type has not yet been introduced to the online multiplayer game, The Banner Saga: Factions.
- This class deviates from the 'canon' as it has no passive ability and 1-3 active ones.
- Menders are mostly support-type units, with the exception of Eyvind's Arc Lightning which is the only offensive Mender ability.