The Spearman (or Lancer) is a base-class unit introduced in the first part of The Banner Saga.
Units belonging to the Spearman class have the following attributes:
- Size: 1x1 tile
- Movement Range: 4 tiles
- Attack Range: 1-2 tiles (see note section)
- Passive Ability: Embolden (see below)
- Stats: Similar to human-melee units, like Raiders.
Passive Ability: Embolden
Each kill the Spearman makes encourages allies to fight harder, granting 1 Willpower to the Spearman and any adjacent allies. The Willpower of all units cannot exceed their maximum value.
- Spearmaster (Impale ability) — Appears in the first part of The Banner Saga and two playable characters (Heroes) belong to this promoted class: Ludin and Tryggvi.
- Slaughterer (Pig Sticker ability) — Appears in the sequel and Bak is the only Hero that belongs to this promoted class. However, there are also some enemies with that ability to be much, e.g. the Krags Pole Men.
When promoted to Rank 6, Heroes of the one promoted class gain the ability of the other (there in no option).
Notes & Playstyle
- The Spearman's range effectively extends the regular "melee" range and is thus able to attack diagonally. This opens new positioning possibilities allowing the Spearman to attack melee enemies while not being reachable by them.
- Units of this base-class (allies and enemies) appear only in the second part of The Banner Saga.
- The Spearman base-class has not (yet) been introduced into Factions.